Thursday, January 23, 2014

Back in the USA!

After nearly four months and 25 hours of a LONG traveling day, the fam and I made it back to the states!  Happy dance!  Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have traded the experience I got oversees for anything...but nothing compares to sleeping in your own bed!  I will admit that I had a mild panic attack in seeing all the toys and space we had to come home to.  Being made to live more simply for a long period of time really puts things into perspective as far as what you truly need and don't need.  I see a major spring cleaning coming to the Jones household...soon...but not just yet.

With only four days to spend in the land of sweet tea (GOD did I miss that!), I'm off once again.  This time, sans the fam...boo.  This next mini-adventure will consist of eleven days spent between Boston and New York City.  Excited?  Yes.  Thrilled about packing up and getting back on another airplane?  NO!  Either way...off I go. 

First stop, Boston.  Technically, Cambridge.  I spent two days here staging in a restaurant called Craigie on Main.  For those of you who don't know, a stage is technically a working interview in a restaurant and, typically, the last step in the hiring process.  After all, in a business like this, it's pretty much necessary to try someone out before you bring them in.  Anyone can make their resume sound good.  Not every one can hack it in the kitchen.

Why here?  First, a little background.  I first heard of this restaurant back in March when the hubs and I were planning our fifth anniversary trip to Boston.  We got engaged in Boston and thought it would be fun to go back.  We had the pleasure of eating there during our trip.  It was amazing, and I was hooked.  The executive chef and owner, Tony Maws won a James Beard Award in 2011 for Best Chef Northeast (one of the many acclaims he's had during his career).  For those of you outside the culinary world who don't know what this is...think of it as the Oscar's for cooking...yep...he's bad ass.  One of my culinary instructors at the time found out I went there and gave me the book "Back of the House" to read.  It chronicles a year in which the author spent shadowing Tony and all the other team members at Craigie.  The whole time I was reading it, I couldn't help but think how this place sounded like it would be a wonderful fit for me.  So...I submitted my resume complete with a cover letter only an adoring fan could have written, never expecting to hear anything back.  BUT...I did!   And after months of emails, phone tag and actual conversation, I had my time staging at Craigie!

My two days there were nothing short of amazing.  The team worked like a well oiled machine.  Everyone helped everyone and everyone's back.  I've never seen an entire group of cooks work like this team worked.  During service the first day, I spent time watching the guys on the meat station keeping pace with the ever calling orders, time with the fish guys and track of the tickets.  My biggest job here was pulling the pig's heads and bone marrow out of the oven, dropping the ribs in the fryer and basically trying to stay out of the way.  Later in service I had a chance to go over to garde manger and plate up amuse bouche for the last 10 or so tables.  The second night, I spent downstairs plating desserts.  I had a prep list just like everyone else.  I came to the meetings and reported on my progress, like everyone else.  I made mistakes, just like everyone else.  And I had a blast.  Both nights when things came to a close, I got the chance to sit down, have some dinner and talk about my experiences with one of the chefs.  Here's the yummies they had for me..



And here's some of the yummies I got to make for the guests...



Next stop...New York City...


No comments:

Post a Comment