Saturday, September 28, 2013

Things Are Different In France

We have officially made it through our first week in France.  As I look back over the week, if I've learned one thing it's that everything is different in France.  Even the smallest things are different.  We've learned, mostly the hard way, that if you don't have any expectations for your day, you'll be fine.  However, if you actually have an agenda you'd like to complete, there are a few important things you should know.

Distance - Since we don't have a car, everywhere we will be going will either be on foot, by bus or by train.  Mostly, we've been walking everywhere since the town we are living in is not very big.  Here's the trick.  If you ask a French person how long it takes to walk somewhere, you can count on doubling the amount of time they tell you...at least.  For example, my patisserie class is at another location than where we are staying.  I was told that it was "just down the street" and "only a 15 minute walk".  Thankfully for me, and all of us, we were led there the first day.  I don't think I would have made it had that not been the case.  True, it is technically on what the French would consider the same street.  However, there are several turns you have to make to get there.  And 15 minutes?  It's more like 30, if you're walking fast.  At least I know I'll get exercise twice a day!

Restaurants - Most everything, restaurants included, close down for a few hours in the middle of the day.  Typically from 12 or 1 to 3 or 4.  The tricky part about restaurants is that when they open back up for dinner, they aren't actually open for dinner.  Most restaurants we have seen will open at 5 or 5:30 but only for drinks.  Dinner doesn't actually start until 7.  If you come early for a drink or two before dinner, you can often spot the staff partaking in family meal, which is usually consumed at the end of the shift in America.  Just remember that you can't eat out for dinner in France before 7 and you will be fine.

Time - I could talk a lot about having to learn how to tell time en francis, but I won't.  The only thing I will say is that the way French people speak their time is very confusing.  I don't want to give it all away.  That one you will have to learn for yourself should you ever decide to speak French.  Time here in general is just different.  There isn't the same sense of urgency that there is in America.  This can be a good thing to help you slow down your pace and relax a little bit, but just be prepared that trying to get something done is going to take longer than you think it should.  Even checking out in the line at the grocery.  Trust me...less expectations are a good thing!

Some valuable lessons from my first week in France.

Stay tuned to see what I got to cook this week...

No comments:

Post a Comment