Tuesday, September 17, 2013

A Salad Even the Hubs Enjoyed!

A few days back I smoked a duck for the first time in my oven.  Although it came out really well, it didn't have as much smokiness as I would have liked in the end.  I think I left too much water in with the wood chips that prevented them from letting off enough smoke to really flavor the duck.  However, the meat came out tender and flavorful anyway.

The second I found this salad in Food and Wine magazine, I knew it had to be part of the dinner.  The pepperiness of the endive really played off the sweetness of the raspberries and the nuttiness of the walnuts.  I think had the smokiness been heavier in the duck it would have added another level of flavor.  Still, it was a hit, and I look forward to making it again!


Smoked Duck Salad with Walnuts and Raspberries

1/2 lb smoked duck breast; skin and fat removed and reserved; meat thinly sliced
1/2 c walnuts; toasted
2 T sherry vinegar
2 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
3 T walnut oil
1 T olive oil
salt and pepper
6 oz Endive lettuce; cut into 1 inch pieces
1 c raspberries

1 - Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spread the duck skin and fat out on a baking sheet and bake about 15 minutes, until crisp.  Drain on paper towels.  Break into small pieces.
2 - In a large bowl, mix the vinegar with the mustard.  Gradually whisk in walnut and vegetable oils.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
3 - Toss lettuce and walnuts in the dressing.  Top salad with raspberries, duck and crispy skin.

So what are we having for dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment